MOUSSISM = a non-traditional community based movement, which is not limited to a period, place or classical notion of aesthetics, discipline, medium, ideology or style. In terms of art, it is a movement that presents work, which migrates in the viewer’s mind from shit to THE shit.
MOUSSE Art = a byproduct of MOUSSISM
9 elements of MOUSSE ART
1. Is informed and innocent
2. Involves the community at large
3. Assumes squatting as a healthy position
4. Expresses freedom and radiates joy
5. Speaks of social illness and wellbeing as movements
6. Works with what it can salvage
7. Deals with real issues, real risk, real sorrow and real beauty
8. Activates emotional and intuitive intelligence
9. Has no predestined form, besides that of mousse
How can you recognize MOUSSE Art
A good clue is that when people first look at MOUSSE Art they are likely to say, ‘that’s shit.’
Later however, they are just as likely to get excited and say, ‘That’s THE Shit.’
To say that MOUSSE art often looks like shit is not to dismiss its ability to be beautiful. MOUSSE Art is beautiful, but this is not always obvious and is generally most evident outside of any singular object analysis. MOUSSISM detaches beauty from form, but does not necessarily neglect beauty in it. It is not trying to be beautiful, but speaks of the beauty it finds in various forms of personal or social excrement.
Where can you find it?
MOUSSE Art may be found in your kitchen, next to a highway, under a bridge or in a museum. Wherever there is mousse, you may find MOUSSE Art.
by HARLAN LEVEY